Sunday, January 29, 2012

Mooooooooooooooo

 Its baby cow time. We bought 3 baby cows to raise for beef. Two of the babies were so tiny they still had their umbilical cords. We bought these cows at the livestock auction. Meat buyers are usually the ones who buys these little guys for veal. These little guys were taken from their mothers so we had to teach them how to take a bottle which was filled with milk replacer. The little black cow would not latch on, so I found a tip online about pouring honey on the nipple...it worked GREAT! I'm hoping by mid summer we will be butchering and stocking the freezer with meat. After researching and seeing where the meat from the grocery store comes from and how inhumane the animals are treated, It will be worth the 6 am bottle feedings!

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking they will just be another adopted addition to your family lol. I can't picture you killing them! :(. Just look at those faces!

    ReplyDelete