We were totally excited to head out to the Mother Earth News Fair in Somerset Pa. We decided to camp at a local campground nearby the fair. We arrived at the campground Friday evening to find a nasty stench in the camper. As the evening progressed the smell became stronger and stronger. Danny thought it had something to do with the grey water tank. So we started to check all the traps under the sinks, all the traps seem to be fine and there was no smell in the pipes. My super laid back hubby looks at me and says,"lets just go to bed, we will have to figure it out in the morning". 1:00 a.m. rolled around and I am still awake by this horrible sulfur smell, worrying that it will make the kids sick. I wake the hubby up to tell him I don't think we should be in the camper. I had no idea how he could sleep through the smell. He used to paint airplanes, I now truly believe the paint fumes has ruined his sense of smell. This odor smelled as if I had a stink bomb held up to my nose. He suggested we call hotels to see if they had any vacancies. No such luck!! Everyone was full. The campground was so super quiet and there were tenters all around us. We couldn't quietly pack up and leave, especially with a Diesel Cummins and neither of us wanted to miss the fair. So my SUPER BRILLIANT LAID BACK hubby suggested we open the windows and run the fan on the air condition unit for ventilation and stick it out until morning. It was below 50 degrees outside. I googled "our problem" and saw where it could be the batteries to the camper. Danny said, "Cant be, I checked them before we left". So I closed the computer, opened the windows and we crawled into bed with the kids to keep them warm. I dozed in and out of sleep, shivering, nose holes burning and the smell was stuck in the back of my throat. At 6 a.m. I woke up the hubby and begged him to just go check the batteries. Sure enough the batteries were super hot. No sooner did he remove the batteries from the camper the smell was completely gone!! This night will be marked down as the worst camper night EVER!! We were glad to have the problem fixed and was off to the fair!!!!
Sunday, September 30, 2012
Mother Earth News Fair
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Gee, I didn't know Mother Earth had a gathering in Somerset. How Cool!!!
ReplyDeleteDo they have it every year???
Zip and I would both be interested.
Glad you had a good time except for the camper disaster.